Kalpeshwar Temple is also a Hindu Temple dedicated to Lord Shiva. Not only this Kalpeshwar Temple is also a part of Panch Prayag Temples situated in Rudraprayag District, Uttarakhand and is the Fifth Panch Kedar Temple. Kalpeshwar Temple is located at an altitude of 2200 m above sea level. Panch Kedar is considered to be more than 1,000 years old.
Due to low altitude Kalpeshwar doesn’t receive much snow fall and therefore it is the only Temple in Panch Kedar and in Char Dham which is accessible throught the year.
It is believed that Lord Shiva Head and Hair has reappeared here. The trek to Kalpeshwar Temple starts from Urgam Village. Not only this trek to Kalpeshwar Temple provides mesmerizing view of Nanda Devi peak, Chowkhamba and Neelkanth.Kapleshwar Trek is considered as the one of the most visited and spiritual Temple in India.
Kalpeshwar Temple History
It is believed that the Shrine was built by the Pandavas of Mahabharata. According to Hindu epic Mahabharata, when the Pandavas were searching for Lord Shiva in the Himalayas to forgive their sins for killing their own brothers, Lord Shiva turned into the form of bull to avoid detection. However, when one of the Pandavas i.e., Bheem captured the Lord Shiva in the form of a bull, it disappeared and reappeared in 5 body parts in 5 different locations which sum up and known as Panch Kedar-
- Hump reappeared in Kedarnath Dham
- Arms reappeared in Tungnath Dham
- Navel reappeared in Madmaheshwar Dham
- Face reappeared in Rudranath Dham
- Hair and Head reappeared in Kalpeshwar Dham
Therefore, it is said that in Kalpeshwar Mahadev, Navel of Lord Shiva is worshipped. Later on, according to Panch Kedar story it is said the Pandavas built temples at these 5 Different locations for worshipping Lord Shiva.
Kalpeshwar Trek is moderately easy trek in comparison to other Treks in Uttarakhand which commence from Urgam Village. And remain open throughout the year. Earlier Kalpeshwar Trek had distance of 12kms from Helang but now road goes upto Devgram Village so the trek is just 300 m. Kalpeshwar Trek starts from Urgam Village and can be completed in 20minutes.
Kalpeshwar Temple Overview
Temperature- 19 Degree
Best Time to Visit- Throughout the year
Location- Rudraprayag, Garhwal
Recommended No. of Stay- 2 Days
Trek Distance- 1 km
Nearest Railway Station- Rishikesh (approx. 250 kms)
Nearest Airport- Jolly Grant Airport (approx. 270 kms)
Kalpeshwar Mahadev Highlights
- It is one of the Panch Kedar Temples situated in Uttarakhand
- Snow trek during December to March
- Trekking is only 1 km
- Only Temple that remains open throughout the year
- Majestic and bird eye view of Chaukhamba Peaks.
- Experience of local culture and local tradition
How to Reach Kalpeshwar Temple
- By Road- Kalpeshwar can be reached by roadways which is 250 kms way from Rishikesh and 270 kms from Dehradun. Thereafter from Urgam Village 1 km Kalpeshwar Trek is done to reach Kalpeshwar Temple.
- By Air- To reach Temple you can take Helicopter from Sahastradhara Helipad (nearest Helipad). in Dehradun to reach Kedarnath. From there book a taxi or any roadways vehicle to reach Kalpeshwar.
- By Railways- Nearest Railway station from the temple is Rishikesh Railway station which is 230 kms away. After reaching you have to book a taxi or any roadways vehicle to reach Kalpeshwar.
Accommodation in Kalpeshwar
There are numerous numbers of hotels and resorts to stay and no problem will be faced by the pilgrims related to their accommodation. Few Hotels in Kalpeshwar, Chopta are-
- Snow city auli resort
- Hotel Vivek Palace urgam
- The Tattva- Boutique reort
- Tripa homestay
- Shivalik Camps and resorts
- Sleeping beauty hotel
- Rocks and Pine Hotel
- Auli Resort
- The Sanatan
Kalpeshwar Trek Itinerary
Day 1- Dehradun- Rishikesh- Urgam Village
Day 2- Urgam Village – Devgaon- Kalpeshwar Temple- Dumak
Day 3- Dumak- Tauli Bugyal- Panar
Day 4- Panar- Rudranath
Day 5- Rudranath- Urgam Village
Day 6- Urgam- Rishikesh/ Dehradun
Kalpeshwar Mandir Guide for Food
Basically, Kalpeshwar has basic eateries such as- Maggie, Tea, Dal, Rice or other seasonal vegetable. But Non- Veg Food, Alcohol and Smoking is strictly prohibited at Kalpeshwar.
Why to Visit Kalpeshwar Temple
Kalpeshwar temple is famous for its Famous Lord Shiva Temple, Panch Kedar Yatra, Kalpeshwar Trek, Mesmerizing Meadows, Snow Trek, Adventure and Camping.
Kalpeshwar Mandir is recommended destination for couple, kids, teenagers, family and solo trip.
Things to do
- Trekking- Kalpeshwar Trek is one of the famous for Trekking. The trek provides enchanting meadows, conifers and oak forests. Trek during winters is covered with snow.
- Pilgrimage- Kalpeshwar Shrine is one of the most visited shrines in Uttarakhand and is also included in Panch Kedar Yatra.
- Bird Watching View- Kalpeshwar Temple provides bird watching view to its pilgrims. If you got lucky musk deers are also spotted in that region.
- Adventure Meadows, Offbeat, Panch kedar darshan, Pilgrimage Darshan, Trekking and Camping.
Things to Carry
- Warm Clothes, jackets, pullovers
- Track Pants
- Warm windproof jacket
- Thermal under pants and thermal vest
- Rain coat
- Pair of ankle high walking boots
- Warm gloves
- Walking stick
- Rain gear
To Book your Char Dham Yatra – Click Here