Madmaheshwar Temple is also known as Madhyamaheshwar Temple or Madhmaheshwar Temple. Not only this Madmaheshwar Temple is also a part of Panch Prayag Temples situated in Rudraprayag District, Uttarakhand and is the Second Panch prayag temple. Madmaheshwar Temple is located at an altitude of 3490 m above sea level. It is also known as Tritiya Kedar in Panch Kedar. Panch Kedar is considered to be more than 1,000 years old.
It is believed that Lord Shiva navel has reappeared here. The trek to Madmaheshwar Temple starts from Ukhimath. Not only this trek to Madmaheshwar Temple provides mesmerizing view of Nanda Devi peak, Chowkhamba and Neelkanth. Madmaheshwar Trek is considered as the one of the most visited and spiritual Temple in India.
Madmaheshwar Temple History
It is believed that the Shrine was built by the Pandavas of Mahabharata. According to Hindu epic Mahabharata, when the Pandavas were searching for Lord Shiva in the Himalayas to forgive their sins for killing their own brothers, Lord Shiva turned into the form of bull to avoid detection. However, when one of the Pandavas i.e., Bheem captured the Lord Shiva in the form of a bull, it disappeared and reappeared in 5 body parts in 5 different locations which sum up and known as Panch Kedar-
- Hump reappeared in Kedarnath Dham
- Arms reappeared in Tungnath Dham
- Navel reappeared in Madmaheshwar Dham
- Face reappeared in Rudranath Dham
- Hair and Head reappeared in Kalpeshwar Dham
Therefore, it is said that in Madmaheshwar Temple, Navel of Lord Shiva is worshipped. Later on, according to Panch Kedar story it is said the Pandavas built temples at these 5 Different locations for worshipping Lord Shiva.
Madmaheshwar Trek is moderately easy trek in comparison to other Treks in Uttarakhand which commence from Ransi Village. But it may receive heavy snowfall during winter season making this toughest trek at that time. Madmaheshwar Trek is properly laid and doesn’t require much guide expect during winter season when there is high snowfall.
Madmaheshwar Temple Overview
Temperature- 19 Degree
Best Time to Visit- May to November
Location- Rudraprayag, Garhwal
Recommended No. of Stay- 3 Days
Trek Distance- 16kms
Nearest Railway Station- Rishikesh (approx. 230 kms)
Nearest Airport- Jolly Grant Airport (approx. 205 kms)
Madmaheshwar Chopta Highlights
- It is one of the Panch Kedar Temples situated in Uttarakhand
- Snow trek during December to March
- Trekking is of 16 kms
- Majestic and bird eye view of Chaukhamba Peaks.
- Experience of local culture and local tradition.
How to Reach Madmaheshwar Temple
- By Road- Madmaheshwar can be reached by roadways which is 230 kms way from Rishikesh and 205 kms from Dehradun. Thereafter from Ranchi Village 16kms Madmaheshwar Trek is done to reach Madmaheshwar Temple.
- By Air- To reach Temple you can take Helicopter from Sahastradhara Helipad (nearest Helipad). in Dehradun to reach Kedarnath. From there book a taxi or any roadways vehicle to reach Madmaheshwar.
- By Railways- Nearest Railway station from the temple is Rishikesh Railway station which is 230 kms away. After reaching you have to book a taxi or any roadways vehicle to reach Madmaheshwar.
Accommodation in Madmaheshwar
There are numerous numbers of hotels and resorts to stay and no problem will be faced by the pilgrims related to their accommodation. Few Hotels in Madmaheshwar, Chopta are-
- Hotel Madhuganga
- Hotel Mahadev
- Rustic Star
- Deoria Tal and Chopta Tents/ Treks
- Chopta Meadows Heritage
- Hotel Mountain View
- Oakland Holiday Home
- Revery tiny house
Madmaheshwar Trek Itinerary
Day 1- Dehradun- Rishikesh- Ukhimath
Day 2- Ukhimath- Goundar
Day 3- Goundar- Madmaheshwar
Day 4- Madmaheshwar Trek- Goundar
Day 5- Goundar- Ukhimath
Day 6- Ukhimath- Rishikesh
Madmaheshwar Guide for Food
Basically, Madmaheshwar has basic eateries such as- Maggie, Tea, Dal, Rice or other seasonal vegetable. But Non- Veg Food, Alcohol and Smoking is strictly prohibited at Madmaheshwar.
Why to Visit Madmaheshwar Temple
Madmaheshwar temple is famous for its Famous Lord Shiva Temple, Panch Kedar Yatra, Madmaheshwar Trek, Mesmerizing Meadows, Snow Trek, Adventure and Camping.
It is recommended destination for couple, kids, teenagers, family and solo trip.
Things to do
- Trekking- Madmaheshwar Trek is one of the famous for Trekking. The trek provides enchanting meadows, conifers and oak forests. Trek during winters is covered with snow.
- Pilgrimage- Madmaheshwar Shrine is one of the most visited shrines in Uttarakhand and is also included in Panch Kedar Yatra.
- Bird Watching View- Madmaheshwar Temple provides bird watching view to its pilgrims. If you got lucky musk deers are also spotted in that region.
- Adventure Meadows, Offbeat, Panch kedar darshan, Pilgrimage Darshann, Trekking and Camping.
Things to Carry
- Warm Clothes, jackets, pullovers
- Track Pants
- Warm windproof jacket
- Thermal under pants and thermal vest
- Rain coat
- Pair of ankle high walking boots
- Warm gloves
- Walking stick
- Rain gear
To Book your Char Dham Yatra – Click Here