Rudranath Temple is a Hindu Temple dedicated to Lord Shiva situated in Garhwal Himalayan Mountains in Uttarakhand. Not only this Rudranath Temple is also a part of Panch Prayag Temples situated in Rudraprayag District, Uttarakhand. Rudranath Temple is located at an altitude of 3600 m. Rudranath Temple is covered with dense forest and Alpina Pastures.
It is believed that Lord Shiva face have reappeared here. The trek to Rudranath Temple starts from Sagar Village and can be finished in approx. 1 hour. Not only this trek to Rudranath Temple provides mesmerizing view of Nanda Devi peak, Chowkhamba and Neelkanth.
Rudranath Temple History
It is believed that the Shrine was built by the Pandavas of Mahabharata. According to Hindu epic Mahabharata, when the Pandavas were searching for Lord Shiva in the Himalayas to forgive their sins for killing their own brothers, Lord Shiva turned into the form of bull to avoid detection. However, when one of the Pandavas i.e., Bheem captured the Lord Shiva in the form of a bull, it disappeared and reappeared in 5 body parts in 5 different locations which sum up and known as Panch Kedar-
- Hump reappeared in Kedarnath Dham
- Arms reappeared in Tungnath Dham
- Navel reappeared in Madhyamaheshwar Dham
- Face reappeared in Rudranath Dham
- Hair and Head reappeared in Kalpeshwar Dham
Therefore, it is said that in Rudranath Temple, Face of Lord Shiva is worshipped. Later on, according to Panch Kedar story it is said the Pandavas built temples at these 5 Different locations for worshipping Lord Shiva.
Rudranath Trek is the most visited temple of Lord Shiva. Rudranath Trek is the toughest Trek among all the Panch Kedar Treks in Uttarakhand commencing either from Sagar Village or from Urgram Village. But it may receive heavy snowfall during winter season making this toughest trek at that time. Rudranath Trek is properly laid and doesn’t require much guide expect during winter season when there is high snowfall.
Himalayan Peaks adds glory to Rudranath Trek giving it mesmerizing view of Nanda Devi, Trishul and Nanda Ghunti.
Rudranath Temple Overview
Temperature- 19 Degree
Best Time to Visit- May to November
Location- Rudraprayag, Garhwal
Trek Distance- 20kms
Altitude- 3400 m
Recommended No. of Stay- 3 Days
Nearest Railway Station- Rishikesh (approx. 240 kms)
Nearest Airport- Jolly Grant Airport (approx. 260 kms)
Rudranath Chopta Highlights
- It is one of the Panch Kedar Temples (4th Panch Kedar Temple) situated in Uttarakhand
- Snow trek during December to March
- Trekking is of 20 kms
- Only Panch Kedar Trek which has different routes
- Dedicated to Lord Shiva
How to Reach Rudranath Temple
- By Road- Rudranath can be reached by taking road upto Sagar Village or from Urgram Village which is 260 kms way from Rishikesh and 250 kms from Dehradun. Thereafter from Sagar Village or from Urgram Village 20kms Rudranath Trek is done to reach Rudranath Temple.
- By Air- To reach Temple you can take Helicopter from Sahastradhara Helipad (nearest Helipad). in Dehradun to reach Kedarnath. From there book a taxi or any roadways vehicle to reach Rudranath.
- By Railways- Nearest Railway station from the temple is Rishikesh Railway station which is 210 kms away. After reaching you have to book a taxi or any roadways vehicle to reach Rudranath.
Accommodation in Rudranath
There are numerous numbers of hotels and resorts to stay and no problem will be faced by the pilgrims related to their accommodation. Few Hotels in Rudranath, Chopta are-
- NavRudr Hotel
- Hotel Rudraksh
- Rengyon House
- Hotel Rudra
- Devdarshan Hotel and Guest House
- Shivalik Valley Resort
Rudranath Trek Itinerary
Day 1- Dehradun / Rishikesh- Sagar Village
Day 2- Sagar Village- Pun Bugyal- Panar Bugyal
Day 3- Panar Bugyal- Rudranath
Day 4- Rudranath- Mandal
Day 5- Mandal- Rishikesh/ Dehradun
Rudranath Guide for Food
Basically, Rudranath has basic eateries such as- Maggie, Tea, Dal, Rice or other seasonal vegetable. But Non- Veg Food, Alcohol and Smoking is strictly prohibited at Rudranath.
Why to Visit Rudranath Temple
Rudranath temple is famous for its Famous Lord Shiva Temple, Panch Kedar Yatra, Rudranath Trek (Snow trekking in Winters) as well as Mesmerizing Meadows. Not only this it provides eye catching beauty of nature making Rudranath Trek more interesting.
Rudranath trek has 3 Different trek routes offering different lands:
- Trek Route 1- From Heland- Urgam- Kalpeshwar- Dumak- Bansi Narayan- Panar- Rudranath
- Trek Route 2- From Sagar Village- Liti Bugyal-Panar Bugyal- Pitradhar- Rudranath
- Trek Route 3- From Mandal Village- Anasuya Temple- Hansa Bugyal- Naola Pass- Rudranath
Things to do
- Trekking- Rudranath Trek is one of the famous for Trekking. The trek provides enchanting meadows, conifers and oak forests. Trek during winters is covered with snow.
- Pilgrimage- Rudranath Shrine is one of the most visited shrines in Uttarakhand and is also included in Panch Kedar Yatra.
- Bird Watching View- Rudranath Temple provides bird watching view to its pilgrims.
Things to Carry
- Warm Clothes, jackets, pullovers
- Track Pants
- Warm windproof jacket
- Thermal under pants and thermal vest
- Rain coat
- Pair of ankle high walking boots
- Warm gloves
- Walking stick
- Rain gear
To Book your Char Dham Yatra – Click Here